Monday, July 28, 2014

Matisse Exhibition and Thai Square Review





Last week I had the pleasure of going to a private viewing Matisse cut out exhibition at the Tate Modern with work. Being the best daughter in the world, I chose to take my Mum as my guest and before we headed off, we went out for dinner in Covent Garden.


As much as I love working in Covent Garden with the beautiful buildings and the bustling atmosphere, it can get a bit much and a bit too touristy. With an abundance of restaurants to choose from, I really want to make sure that my Mum saw the local side of Covent Garden so took her away from the over touristy area to Thai Square.

Having had the pleasure of travelling to Thailand, I know a good thai restaurant when I see one and Thai Square is the real deal. Aside from the beautiful, open interior complete with central shrine to Buddha, the smell of fresh chilli and spices when you walk into Thai Square screams authenticity. With a pre theatre menu at a steal of £15.95 a person, we quickly ordered and awaited our meal.

We shared a platter of starters with Chicken Satay Sticks, Tempura Prawns, Crab Cakes and Duck Spring Rolls. They all came with a sweet chilli and a plum sauce dip and tasted so fresh, a hundred times better than my usual oriental take aways. 

For the mains we were given a selection of dishes to share. Thai Green Chicken Curry and Chicken with Cashew Nuts were served with Phad Thai Noodles and Steamed Jasmine Rice. Each dish was beautifully presented and the portions were so generous that neither me nor mum could finish them off. Luckily we were given a refreshing mango sushi post meal to cleanse our palettes before we headed off to the Matisse Exhibition.


Art Exhibitions never fail to amaze me, there's just something about seeing a famous piece of art up close and looking at everything from the brush strokes to the little flaws that makes you understand how much effort goes into creating a masterpiece. I loved seeing Matisse's cut outs, as up close you can really see all the different layers of paper, each step in creating the perfect curve. As my Mum rightly said 'that exhibition was awesome, in the true sense of the word.'

I had the best evening out and in a silly way I loved feeling like a proper grown up showing my Mum round London and taking her to a work event. I'm so lucky to work at Mission with opportunities like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment